(Los Angeles, CA)
Title: Chief Development and Marketing Officer
Mission: Empowering individuals to achieve dignity and economic independence through sustainable employment.
Vision: Thriving communities with hope and economic opportunity for all.
Since 1931, JVS SoCal has empowered individuals with the skills, training, resources, and compassionate support they need to secure a better life. Founded in the midst of the Great Depression, JVS SoCal began with a single desk in a Bunker Hill office in downtown Los Angeles, serving job seekers who were struggling to survive amid overt workplace discrimination.
Nine decades later, the agency is a recognized regional leader in the field of workforce development, offering a broad range of innovative programs to tens of thousands of individuals each year and advocating on issues of public policy that impact the people JVS SoCal serves.
Today, more than 265 skilled and dedicated JVS SoCal staff members deliver services from over 20 sites throughout Los Angeles County and surrounding areas, assisting tens of thousands of clients each year through career training, veteran services, immigrant and refugee services, scholarships, job centers, women empowerment, and disability services.
Though the immediate goal of JVS SoCal is to assist people to move from unemployment or chronic underemployment to a living wage, the long-term effect is that they are able to contribute to their communities, helping to stimulate and grow the local economy. JVS SoCal embraces diversity and creates pathways to equality. It fosters and sustains a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. JVS SoCal is committed to ensure all stakeholders have access to resources and opportunities to develop, contribute and grow.
The annual operating budget is $30 million, 80 percent of which currently originates from government funding and 20 percent from individuals, foundations, and corporations. To learn more about JVS SoCal, please visit https://www.jvs-socal.org.
As JVS SoCal continues to be a leading social enterprise agency, the Chief Development and Marketing Officer will be responsible for managing the strategic direction and oversight of a comprehensive fund development and marketing program to ensure the agency’s ongoing success and sustainability. The successful candidate will be focused on building major gifts, annual gifts, planned gifts, and institutional grants and contracts to achieve fundraising goals. Simultaneously, this leader will ensure cohesive and consistent messaging and will deliver timely and relevant information to internal and external stakeholders.
Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development and Marketing Officer will provide leadership, motivation, and support to a total team of 19 and directly supervise the Senior Vice President of Philanthropy, Senior Vice President of Marketing & Communications, Director of Women’s Leadership Network, Director of Planned Giving, Director of Grants, Contracts, & Strategic Partnerships, and Administrative Coordinator. Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Foster a culture that attracts, retains, mentors, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality professionals.
- Assess the team to ensure that the department is effectively structured and staffed.
- Establish goals and metrics to evaluate the implementation of strategy and tactics and evaluate the overall effectiveness of development and marketing.
- Provide ongoing coaching to direct reports and ensure staff are provided with ongoing training and professional development.
- Work with the CEO and CFO to ensure sound fiscal operation including timely and accurate budgets, reporting, and monitoring.
- Provide fundraising leadership, strategy, and support to the CEO and Board of Directors.
- Cultivate, grow, and solicit a personal portfolio of donors and prospects with a focus on major gifts and planned gifts.
- Collaborate with the Development team to ensure all donor levels are strategically identified, cultivated, solicited, and stewarded.
- Identify new opportunities for donor engagement.
- Oversee the grant approval and writing process.
- Develop, lead, and implement annual and long-term development strategies.
- Develop and implement a systematic approach to cultivation and stewardship.
- Maintain a working knowledge of best practices and significant developments and trends in philanthropy relevant to the agency and adapt fundraising strategies, as necessary.
- Oversee the development database and ensure quality prospecting, segmenting, trend identification, and relationship and communication management.
- Actively participate in and attend all Board Development Committee meetings.
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee the strategy for the agency’s brand, communications, and targeted marketing for growth.
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to develop and implement annual and long-term marketing strategies, as well as ensure consistent messaging and outreach strategies.
- Identify new opportunities to increase the agency’s visible presence to establish and advance relationships in support of achieving the agency’s vision and mission.
- Oversee the development and expansion of the agency’s community and market footprint, including updating the website, user experience, greater use of social media, and targeting different demographic groups (e.g., age, ethnicity, etc.).
- Oversee the creation and execution of all production marketing plans including the development of key art, visual messages, and descriptive copy for all collateral material.
- Promote the understanding of JVS SoCal’s mission internally and externally.
- Provide the Board with information on the development and implementation of the fundraising and marketing strategic plan.
- Staff board committees including the Development Committee and the Marketing and Communications Committee.
The Chief Development and Marketing Officer will be a charismatic and inspiring social justice-minded leader with a genuine passion for serving others. The successful candidate will have the proven ability to compellingly communicate JVS SoCal’s mission and build lasting relationships with donors and community partners. The Chief Development and Marketing Officer must embrace the vision and values of JVS SoCal and invest themselves in its mission and goals.
Top candidates will be innovative development leaders with extensive experience creating and successfully executing forward-thinking development strategies that span major gifts, campaigns, annual giving, special events, planned giving, foundation relations, and government relations. They will have considerable experience in designing, presenting, and negotiating high-level gift arrangements, including significant individual and institutional gifts from foundations, corporations, and government funding. This role requires exceptional verbal and written communication skills and strong marketing skills to create fundraising and agency collateral that furthers the agency’s message and deepens the relationship with its supporters.
The Chief Development and Marketing Officer will have the proven ability to build a strategic communications and marketing plan to support and reflect the mission of JVS SoCal. The successful candidate should have the capacity to plan, organize, and implement a variety of complex projects simultaneously and under deadline conditions while maintaining the integrity and quality of each project. The leading candidate will be an excellent storyteller and a skilled communicator, both in writing and verbally, with excellent project management, marketing analytics, editing, and organizational skills. The demonstrated ability to work at all levels within an organization and to influence end results through exceptional listening skills is essential while creating and maintaining positive relationships with internal and external constituencies. The ability to be responsive, results-oriented and have good follow-through is essential.
The ideal candidate will be a hard-working, patient, attentive to detail and collaborative leader, and be an open, communicative, strong, and confident professional. Leading the team with authenticity and integrity, they will have a proven ability to inspire the team with creativity, energy, a vision, and clear goals.
CAREER TRACK LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
The Chief Development and Marketing Officer should have a minimum of eight to ten years of progressively responsible and successful fundraising and management experience. Leading candidates will have a proven track record of raising significant support and proven success with major gifts, annual giving, planned giving, corporate giving, foundation grants, special events, capital campaigns and other campaigns. Being knowledgeable about best practices and trends in data-driven marketing, brand management, and public relations is essential. Candidates should have a proven record of success in leadership positions that plan and operate strategically, build public support, strengthen infrastructure, and inspire staff and board members. Candidates with experience in social justice, human service, or other pertinent environments would be ideal.
A bachelor's degree is preferred. Candidates without a degree but with significant experience in a similar field are encouraged to apply.
The salary range is $240,000-260,000 based on experience. Relocation assistance, if needed, is negotiable. A comprehensive benefits package will be provided.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter
We'll keep you up-to-date on news about current searches as well as filled positions!