Momentum Wheels for Humanity
(Remote with Travel)
Title: Executive Director
MOMENTUM WHEELS FOR HUMANITY:
Momentum Wheels for Humanity is one of the only organizations in the world with expertise in developing both rehabilitation and Assistive Technology (AT) services in low- and middle-income countries.
Since 1996, Momentum Wheels for Humanity has increased access to mobility and improved quality of life for children and adults with physical disabilities in more than 50 low- and middle-income countries, providing more than 125,000 wheelchairs and other AT reaching more than 440,000 people in global communities through programming. Momentum Wheels for Humanity builds and strengthens rehabilitation services within health systems through training and capacity building, policy and standards development, and supply and distribution of wheelchairs and other assistive products.
When someone with a mobility impairment gains access to the tools and resources they need to live their best life, it not only transforms the life of that person, but it also positively impacts their family and their community. Momentum Wheels for Humanity wants people with mobility impairments to have long-term access to quality services, so we invest our resources in building and strengthening systems that will last. When these systems are built within the right institutions, and those institutions are equipped to succeed, people with mobility impairments will have reliable access to quality services and assistive products. With the improved mobility and independence that come with rehabilitation services, people with mobility impairments will then be able to fully participate in cultural and economic areas of life.
Mission: To promote greater inclusion for people with disabilities globally, through mobility, therapy, advocacy, and empowerment.
Purpose: Empowering potential through innovation.
Vision: Inclusion, access, and opportunity for all.
With an expanding global presence, Momentum Wheel for Humanity’s Headquarters is based in Los Angeles, California, and currently has Field Office locations in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Pakistan, Peru, Tajikistan, Uganda, and Ukraine. Fiscal Year 2023-2024 annual operating budget is $11.2 million. For more information, please visit https://momentum4humanity.org/.
With an entrepreneurial mindset, the Executive Director (ED) will be the face of the organization, responsible for leading and advancing Momentum Wheels for Humanity’s vision, strategic initiatives, and priorities to promote greater global inclusion for people with disabilities through mobility, therapy, advocacy, and empowerment. The ED will report to the President & CEO of Momentum (parent company) and work closely with the members of the Momentum Wheel for Humanity Board of Directors. The ED will provide maximum quality services while ensuring the adequacy and soundness of the organization's structure by establishing and maintaining current and long-range objectives. Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
- Directs the development of both short-term and long-range objectives for operations and the achievement of those goals and initiatives.
- Develops and implements strategies to provide support for people with disabilities globally while continuing to promote Momentum Wheels for Humanity’s mission, purpose, and vision globally.
Leadership and Internal Operations
- Proven experience building a global presence while engaging internal stakeholders through collaboration and consensus building.
- Directs and evaluates key senior management and professional staff. Establishes and maintains liaison with Momentum Wheels for Humanity’s Board of Directors, Momentum’s (parent company) President and Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Chief Financial Officer.
- Provides motivational and visionary leadership; through senior managers, oversees and coordinates the creation and enhancement of programs that seek to continually improve lives.
- Directs the preparation of reports for funding agencies, to the Momentum Wheels for Humanity Board of Directors with regular engagement and communication and takes action in response to identified issues.
- Leads and inspires a motivated and mission-driven team of 16 U.S.-based and 25 foreign-based staff.
- Promotes a positive and result-focused work culture both through example and the establishment of goal-setting management.
- Directs the budget preparation and financial management programs, program operations and implementation, and communications and marketing. Oversees personnel and human resources: principles and procedures for personnel selection, training, and employee retention.
- Maintains knowledge of management systems (Raiser’s Edge, QuickBooks, etc.) that ensure maximum sharing of information and learning throughout the organization.
- Travels for in-person strategizing, partnership development, and cultivation.
- Represents the organization externally by developing key relationships with strategic partners and donors.
- Identifies new opportunities in line with the organization’s strategic vision and cultivates the necessary funding partnerships.
- Develops and implements strategic plans for fundraising based on annual goals established in collaboration with Momentum’s (parent company) executive team and the Momentum Wheels for Humanity Board of Directors.
- Sets the strategy, goals, and expected outcomes for all fundraising initiatives including planned giving, campaigns, and events.
- Be the driving force for Momentum Wheels for Humanity as it relates to the development of initiatives and funding practices.
- Supervises donor gift record-keeping and acknowledgments and oversees the management of databases and all donor records/sources of donations.
- Recommends and coordinates donor stewardship and recognition strategies for all mediums.
- Oversees major gift fundraising with top-level donors around the world.
- Leads the expansion of a national marketing and fundraising strategy utilizing digital platforms to expand the audience of Momentum Wheels for Humanity.
- Coordinates with Momentum (parent company) corporate divisions for resources (software platforms, event, and campaign logistics, etc.) and strategies affecting integration and reporting, as needed.
TRAITS AND CHARACTERISTICS DESIRED:
The Executive Director will have an unrelenting passion and commitment to helping those in need globally. The ability to interact effectively with people from different backgrounds and cultures while understanding group dynamics, societal trends and influences is essential. An essential characteristic is vision; someone who can see not only what exists but more importantly, what could be. The Executive Director will be charged with being entrepreneurial and having a desire to take on new projects and opportunities.
The individual must have effective communication skills, both written and verbal, and must be an active listener. Excellent interpersonal skills, a collaborative management style, and the highest levels of integrity and honesty are essential. The proven ability to create a positive environment and motivate through example is highly valued. The Executive Director will solve practical problems and carry out responsibilities effectively under pressure. The individual must be well organized, focused, and have a goal-oriented work style with the demonstrated ability to think strategically, problem-solve, innovate, prioritize, and follow through on projects.
The successful candidate should be committed to high performance, teamwork, and accountability with a strong work ethic and dedication to building a culture of high productivity. Proven management experience and skills to effectively organize, direct, motivate and evaluate other professional and support staff and volunteers are essential. An inclusive leadership style that exemplifies collaboration, trust, and transparent communication with all stakeholders is necessary. A strong and collaborative working relationship with Momentum (parent company) is essential to ensure leverage of mission-driven initiatives, strategies, and goals.
CAREER TRACK LEADING TO THIS POSITION:
Candidates should have at least ten years of senior-level management experience with increasing responsibility. Experience working within an international organization is preferred. Substantial expertise in oversight of multi-year funded programs, preferably through USAID or the Department of State would be highly valued. Candidates with demonstrated experience with major gifts, volunteer management and board relations will be preferred. Being multilingual would be a plus.
A bachelor's degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred. Candidates without a degree but with significant experience in a similar field are encouraged to apply.
The salary range is $225,000-250,000 based on experience. A comprehensive benefits package will be provided.
As a global organization, candidates must be able to present proof of eligibility to work in the United States. The successful candidate will work irregular hours, evenings, weekends, and some holidays, as necessary. Travel is a requirement of the position and the percentage of travel is dependent on the demands of the role.
Sign up for our monthly newsletter
We'll keep you up-to-date on news about current searches as well as filled positions!